9.26.2010

And I was like hey, Hey, HEY STOP!

Locke's driver's license has been targeted. It was in his pocket when a tree fell on the car (claim #1) when he drove down Payson Canyon (Claim #2) and when the truck hit him (Claim #3). Yes, Locke got hit by a truck last week.

Have you ever had that sick feeling in your heart though that someone is not quite okay. I was making 'blender pancakes' Thursday night when I felt it. 'Locke got hit on his bike.' was the thought I had.

{No, that's just me worrying because he should have been home 45 minutes ago} Then the phone rang. Hello, Is this Katie? Hi I'm a crisis nurse, calling to tell you that your husband was hit by a car. (Pause, WHAT! Really?!) He has a broken arm, but is doing better. Yes, you can come see him. Please drive carefully on your way here. Click. Wow, what just happened! Never has a conversation made me more somber. Locke got hit by a left turning Ford F150. He said he saw the truck but just assumed the driver saw him because he in the cross walk and the driver was making a left hand turn and there weren't other cars blocking his view. Locke looked up from adjusting his pedals and the truck was just about to hit. Locke flew maybe 10 feet onto the concrete. Mind you, he wore no helmet (I know Michelle, he now has learned his lesson) and the man only suffered from an intra-articular fracture of the radius aka a broken wrist. Miracle. No more serious injuries!! I have always thought Locke was invincible...I still do but maybe now only 95% invincible. The picture above shows him the night it happened. We couldn't get his shirt off, in fear of bumping his arm, it was tender. So he slept in this shirt I think for 2 days. I got out the seam ripper the 2nd night, but Locke wanted to try again to remove it. I think he doesn't know about my mad sewing skills, I really could have returned his shirt to it's original condition! Since the accident. Locke has made his own sandwiches with a little team work opening jars, upon his request. He has changed Rocco's diaper unbenounced to me, and has insisted that he carry Rocco in his carseat while in public. He really is not milking this injury at all!! But I've told him to take it easy. Recovering from reconstructive surgery will only prolong his disability and might even take him out of the archery hunt come December if he doesn't let his wrist heal! Really really Love! We are extremely fortunate that in the midst of this misfortunate event Locke kept his hands inside the bike handlebars, and that he was standing up, and mid-way through a pedal stroke, if not we think he would have had more 'boo boo's' and not have had a perfect break. (He couldn't have broken his wrist any more perfect, said the hand surgeon.) Thanks Locke for still being invincible! Hoping the percentage stays high for a long time!!

5 comments:

  1. What??!! This is crazy! I'm so glad Locke is okay. It sounds like you have had a very adventurous couple of weeks. Let's keep that family safe, okay? We miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our next package is going to be full of rabbits feet and four leaf clovers and lucky horseshoes. We are so thankful you are OK Locke. love you guys

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tell Locke I have an extra butt patch he can borrow. If he's lucky maybe I'll pull out my butt donut for him too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. An F-150 is no joke. You're a lucky man. I will invent a jersey that glows bright like the sun. Motorsists will respect it and stop trying to kill you.

    ReplyDelete